[chef] Re: knife-vsphere and debian6

  • From: Tensibai Zhaoying < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: knife-vsphere and debian6
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 22:31:12 +0200

I do this with Ubuntu boxes, VMware dropping support don't mean it won't work just that you'll have tonfigure it out yourself or with community.

The customization spec system is open enough to do quite anything with script getting variable from the box Env.

The only hard point I have actually is the inability of vagrant-vsphere to edit vm to change memory or vswitch portgroup, but it's on my to-do list.

Caution I'm using a full vsphere it vcenter end not only standalone esxi but if can help on the subject, where are you stuck for now ?

Envoyé à partir de mon smartphone Sony Xperia™

---- Elvin Abordo a écrit ----

Is anybody out there using knife-vsphere to provision/bootstrap debian6 machines under esxi 5.5? I know vmware dropped customization spec support for debian 6. But my company is still using debian6 and we need to migrate from xenserver to esxi 5.5

Another sub question. Has anybody been successful at setting metadata on a vm that contained IP,netmask,gateway information and having a script inside of a VM poll that information via vmwaretools and dynamically set the /etc/network/interfaces file?

i know there's a couple of ways to do that via editing vmx files and executing another script on the host. But i was hoping there was a cleaner way of doing it.

--
Elvin Abordo
Mobile: (845) 475-8744