[chef] Shellshock patching with Chef

  • From: Morgan Blackthorne < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Shellshock patching with Chef
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 15:23:18 -0700

I'm looking to see if there's a good way to help manage patching of vulnerabilities with Chef. This Shellshock one seems to be a great example of why Chef would be a helpful tool for the job, since it's just a package in need of upgrading (bash).

My question is, what's the best way in Chef to say "for this distribution and release, ensure that this package is at least at version X" without potentially downgrading the package down the road? I want to set a minimum bar, but I don't wan't to permanently pin the version.

Thoughts? Thanks!

--
~*~ StormeRider ~*~

"Every world needs its heroes [...] They inspire us to be better than we are. And they protect from the darkness that's just around the corner."

(from Smallville Season 6x1: "Zod")

On why I hate the phrase "that's so lame"... http://bit.ly/Ps3uSS