[chef] Re: migrating from chef 11 to chef 12 server

  • From: Stephen Delano < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: migrating from chef 11 to chef 12 server
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2014 08:59:07 -0700

Hi Bethany,

An in-place upgrade from an open source Chef Server 11 to Chef Server 12 actually runs the knife-backup / knife-restore processes under the covers. This will also have the end result of starting with a new instance of the server, where the underlying database is completely fresh. Chef 12 installs to /opt/opscode and the associated data dirs are in /var/opt/opscode where Chef 11 was /opt/chef-server and /var/opt/chef-server.

If your desires of a fresh instance are more around wanting a new hardware instance (or a new VM), then there are also commands that will allow you to export the data and import it to the new server. The process around export / import is a bit more involved than simply a knife upload / download, so I'll find those docs and link you to them shortly.

Thanks!
Stephen