[chef] Re: RE: Using chef solo to aws distribute keys

  • From: Peter Burkholder < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: RE: Using chef solo to aws distribute keys
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 14:27:12 -0500

Hi,

If you mean distributing AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID and AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY, then I would recommend a) not doing so, and using IAM roles to grant access to AWS resources or b) if you must distribute keys then use Encrypted DataBags; Chef-Vault, https://github.com/Nordstrom/chef-vault; or Citadel, https://github.com/poise/citadel.

If I'm missing the point of the question, or if you don't know where to get started with IAM roles, then please feel free to follow-up.

Cheers,

Peter