[chef] Determine inside VPC

  • From: Douglas Garstang < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Determine inside VPC
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 11:38:07 -0800

I'm trying to use ohai to determine if my instance is inside a VPC. There's a key nested down there under node['ec2']['network_interfaces_macs'] when this is the case, called vpc_id, but my ruby is horrible and I'm having trouble fetching it. For reasons I don't understand ohai reports this is a dictionary, but when I attempt to iterate over it inside a chef recipe, it's an array.

Is there an easy/better way to determine in chef if your ec2 instance is inside a VPC?

Doug