[chef] Chef 12 user and org creation automation

  • From: Greg Willis < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Chef 12 user and org creation automation
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 08:27:54 -0800

I have the need to automate the user and organization creation on Chef 12 because of the way we isolate products during development.  Each developer gets their own org for the stack they are working on in a CD style pipeline.  I switched to Chef 12 so I did not have to create a new Chef 11 server for each stack.

I want the build server to connect to the Chef API and create the orgs and users, but I found out that only the pivotal user has access to do this.  Is there a command or way to add my automation user to the Chef server so it has access to create users and organizations?  I know I can just use the pivotal key to sign the requests, but I was not sure if that is best way to accomplish what I want.  Ideally, I would like a role or set of permissions that only allows user and organization creation, and user association to organizations.

Anyone like to share host hosted Chef does this when a new user signs up?

Greg Willis

  • [chef] Chef 12 user and org creation automation, Greg Willis, 01/31/2015