[chef] Re: Re: [announcemnet] GoatOS:: Fully automated CI to build and test chef infrastructure

  • From: Ranjib Dey < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: [announcemnet] GoatOS:: Fully automated CI to build and test chef infrastructure
  • Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2015 13:12:28 -0700

Hi torben,
kitchen-ci dont have any native lxc based driver, i want get that addressed first. Current LXC driver uses shell-out to do its magic, which is cumbersome.
Yeah, GoCD is now opensource :-) . Thats why i am building things on top of it, instead of jenkins.
I too would love to have a SaaS offering, which give vanilla linux kernel. I dont know much about circle-ci. But i know for fact that travis uses openvz, and they dont  have any plan to move to mainline kernel anytime soon, so we wont get containers from them. When i used to work at ThoughtWorks (the company behind GoCD) we had built DevCloud, an internal SaaS for GoCD farm. Currently they have Snap CI, but i doubt its anything closer to GoCD (i.e the pipelines, fan-in, fan-out dependencies etc), but you should definitely talk to them and check if they have any plans to do it.

Im pretty sure Docker inside LXC will force you to run lxc as root :-(.

It will be awesome if someone starts something like cloudbees, but backed by GoCD, with multi-tenancy baked in :-)
Till then, I'll continue improving these tools, and their integration. i.e. reduce the entry barrier for CI-CD adoption for infrastructure as code.

cheers
ranjib