[chef] Re: knife bootstrap windows winrm - timeout.

  • From: Morgan Blackthorne < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: knife bootstrap windows winrm - timeout.
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 08:31:16 -0700

WinRM seems flaky, and sometimes you need to bounce the service on the windows box for it to respond, I've found.

On Apr 13, 2015 8:24 AM, "Button, Steve" < "> > wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to install a new client using

knife bootstrap windows winrm 'server.nightly.bla' -r 'app::base' -x 'administrator’ -P 'xyz'

but the command comes back after a couple of mins with :-

ERROR: No response received from remote node after 1.84 minutes, giving up.
ERROR: RuntimeError: Command execution failed.

I have tried with -VVV and I get

DEBUG: :session => :init
DEBUG: :relay_to_servers => echo . & echo Response received.
DEBUG: :relayed => server.nightly.bla
DEBUG: server.nightly.bla => :run_command

​Not very helpful.

I can telnet from my workstation to port 5985.

Searching google for this, there a a couple of pages of people with similar issues, but no solution.

Is this even the up-to-date way to install chef-client?

Thanks,

Steve​