[chef] Re: Re: Re: Testing Cookbooks vs Testing Infrastructure

  • From: Torben Knerr < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Testing Cookbooks vs Testing Infrastructure
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 15:37:51 +0200

Are you planning to (acceptance level) test it from the outside as well?

Or just for convergence to succeed?

Am 22.04.2015 14:46 schrieb "Tensibai" < "> >:

I forgot the link to terraform: http://www.terraform.io/intro/index.html

Le 2015-04-22 14:41, Tensibai a écrit :

I had a discussion with a colleague this morning about this and pointed to Terraform[1].

As we're already using vagrant with a custom provider (for vsphere) we're planning to move toward this path. for now it's just an idea with no feedback but the described way Terraform works sounds interesting to write "plans" to ensure idem-potency for cookbooks (spin up a machine, converge it once, re-converge it, change a parameter somewhere, converge again, ensure expectation are there).

That's what we're aiming to do, launched from jenkins on cookbook commit after usual linting/chefspec test.

I'll try to write something about it if we end up with something functional at end.