[chef] Re: Re: Upgrade Ubuntu from 12.04 to 14.04

  • From: Charles Johnson < >
  • To: Noah Kantrowitz < >,
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Upgrade Ubuntu from 12.04 to 14.04
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 16:12:19 -0700

Hugs, Noah. Thanks for speaking up with this great response!

--Charles

On Apr 27, 2015, at 3:43 PM, Jason J. W. Williams < > wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 3:39 PM, Noah Kantrowitz < > wrote:
>> Okay everyone, lets cool our collective jets with the unhelpful "Don't do that answers.
>>
>> The best way to do this would probably be a few execute resources running the relevant CLI commands. Unfortunately the officially documented process from Canonical is to use the update-manager tool, which is an interactive curses app if I remember correctly. I would check to see if it has a non-interactive mode. Otherwise you can do it the really old fashioned way of replacing your sources.list and apt-get dist-upgrade.
>>
>> --Noah
>
> Honestly, if Mohammad is dead set on doing an upgrade, I think he'd be
> better of cooking up a bash script in a test environment that works
> and using some sort of parallel-SSH to apply it.
>
> There's just too many ways for a distro upgrade to go sideways in very
> non-idempotent ways for a Chef run to be the right approach to do a
> mass upgrade of the OS.

Thats fine as an opinion, but multiple people responding to a question with "don't do that" breeds an unwelcoming atmosphere. I agree it is going to be a frustrating use case, but at a minimum let's answer the question to the best of our ability first and then urge caution after that. The "How? Don't!" thing is a cliche for a reason, and I know I personally hate being on the other side of it.

--Noah