[chef] Chef Pipeline

  • From: Eric Herot < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Chef Pipeline
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 15:53:54 -0400

Hi Chefs,

So I’ve been trying to adapt Stephen Lauck and Stephen Lauck’s Chef Pipeline cookbook for our environment but I seem to be having a problem with dependency resolution and I want to try to understand if this is just something that won’t work or if I’m doing something wrong.

So first a summary of our environment: We have one “main” repo (called server-chef) that contains our data bags, roles, environment files, and now a master Berkshelf file for use with Pipeline. All of our cookbooks are in their own repos (e.g. github.com/evertrue/et_base-cookbook.git).

My master Berksfile looks like this:

source 'https://supermarket.chef.io'

group :community do
  cookbook 'apt'
  cookbook 'newrelic'
end

%w(ec2dnsserver
   et_api_haproxy
   et_auth_api
   et_base
   et_cassandra
   et_chefgithook
   et_contacts_api
   et_hostname
   et_logger
   et_monitoring
   et_networking_basic
   et_tools
   et_users).each do |cb|
  cookbook cb, git: "
 :evertrue/#{cb}-cookbook"
end

Here’s the problem:

Not all of the dependencies are actually compatible between each of the cookbooks that I need to test. For example, et_base depends on version = 1.4.4 of et_users but et_rails_app depends on version = 1.5.0 of et_users.

Am I missing something? Is there any way to reconcile this? Or does the dependency tree actually have to be compatible for every single cookbook we use?

Thanks in advance y’all,

Eric