[chef] Chef-Shell with local mode?

  • From: Eric Helgeson < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Chef-Shell with local mode?
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 13:50:31 -0500

Ohai,

I was looking a chef-shell to do some interactive debugging. I'm using chef-zero provisioner in Vagrant.

It looks like chef-shell has a -z option, but that is not chef-zero, just chef-client mode. So I tried installing chef-zero gem on the machine and setting the chef_server_url "http://localhost:8889", to no avail. Always get a 404 when setting chef-zero --file-store.

I then tried to just use solo mode, but it's not picking up any of the cookbook settings from solo.rb or the run_list from dna.json

vagrant-chef]$ sudo chef-shell --solo -c /tmp/vagrant-chef/solo.rb -j /tmp/vagrant-chef/dna.json loading configuration: /tmp/vagrant-chef/solo.rb
Session type: solo

This is the chef-shell.
 Chef Version: 12.3.0
 http://www.chef.io/
 http://docs.chef.io/

run `help' for help, `exit' or ^D to quit.

Ohai2u

chef > cookbooks.all
[2015-05-15T18:30:48+00:00] ERROR: Connection refused connecting to https://localhost/cookbooks, retry 1/5

Thoughts on how to get this up and running? Blogposts about this are fairly dated.