[chef] Re: Dependency between nodes

  • From: niristotle okram < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Dependency between nodes
  • Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 23:36:17 -0700

There have been discussions around about Chef being used as a deployment mechanism or not. From what i have analysed and reviewed based on the community feedbacks + some of my experience, Chef should not be used for deployments. Chef is a configuration management tool i.e you use Chef to set up your servers where the applications are deployed/hosted. Depending of Chef for deployment is just leaving more room for failures. Are you gonna do a chef-run for a production deploy? If you so, what happens if the chef run fails due to say, may be any silly reasons? And how are you going to put a gate on the deployment (although this can be archived using branches in your repo).

The mentioned type of deployment can to achieve best with a combination of capistrano  + ssh (in my opinion). Check out capistrano 2 / 3 (many suggest to use 3, + me :) ) . But i still use cap2. And this have tied me down to an older Version of chef.

A .war can be deployed to a say Tomcat cointainer using ssh from the repository via the jenkins servers (if you use jenkins). & the DB related deploys are done mostly via the capistrano. Not sure on the other 2 apps on what they are though.

hope this gives some to think and possibly a solution.