[chef] kitchen-ec2 0.9.0 released

  • From: Tyler Ball < >
  • To: ,
  • Subject: [chef] kitchen-ec2 0.9.0 released
  • Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 10:28:45 -0700

Greetings!

After a 15 month hiatius, I just released the latest version of kitchen-ec2.  Quite a lot has changed, so I’ll go over some of it here!

First off, all your existing tests and configuration should continue to work when moving from 0.8.0 to 0.9.0.  However, many configurations have been deprecated in preparation for a 1.0.0 release.  If you are using a deprecated config you should get a warning at the beginning of any kitchen command.  Check the README for deprecated configs and the recommended new value.

I also switched from using the Fog gem to using the AWS SDK gem for communication.  Again, this should not be a visible change for users, just a dependency change.  As part of this I deprecated the concept of storing the AWS secret key and token inside the .kitchen.yml.  Instead it is recommended to use environment variables, a ~/.aws/credentials file or an IAM instance profile if running Test Kitchen from within AWS.  Read more about it here.

This brings the credentials in line with how AWS recommends authenticating.

All deprecated logic will continue to be supported until version 1.0.0.  I’m planning on releasing a 0.10.0 version which adds Windows support, then quickly turning around and releasing 1.0.0 with the deprecated logic removed.  So if you are currently depending on the master branch of kitchen-ec2, please switch to a pinned gem dependency!

See the CHANGELOG for more detail around bug fixes and other small improvements.

Cheers!
-Tyler