[chef] Re: Re: Using Chef offline

  • From: Tim Leicy < >
  • To: chef < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Using Chef offline
  • Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 20:16:34 -0700

This works fine for getting the cookbooks and the cookbook dependencies themselves, such as the recipes, etc but I am looking for a way to get the files that are specified inside of the cookbooks.
For example in the opscode boost cookbook: https://github.com/opscode-cookbooks/boost/blob/master/recipes/source.rb there is a call to get a remote file
remote_file "#{Chef::Config[:file_cache_path]}/#{node['boost']['file']}" do
  source node['boost']['source'] + node['boost']['file']
  mode "0644"
  action :create_if_missing
end

This makes an http request to sourceforge.

I am looking for a way that these remote files can be 'cached' or downloaded on my internet connected machines so that I can then transfer the data to my non internet connected machines without having to modify anything in the cookbooks themselves I don't think that there is anyway for Berkshelf to do this but I maybe wrong.

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 7:21 PM, Noah Kantrowitz < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
Use chef-solo or chef-client local mode. Berkshelf can handle downloading the cookbooks and putting them in a format either of those can use (berks vendor).

--Noah