[chef] Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: Testing idempotence of chef cookbooks

  • From:
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: Testing idempotence of chef cookbooks
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 08:45:33 +0200

Ok, I see. Well maybe I understood something wrong, but from my understanding idempotence is the property when you apply a cookbook several times and the result is always the same. So I always thought it is enough to run converge multiple times and see if the serverspec tests are always the same. That is also something you can easily automate for a CI environment.

The property that only resources are updated that are really needed is more some kind of efficiency of cookbooks, isn't it?

And as you described it is not always possible to have "0 resources updated" so I wonder if such idempotence tests can be standardized or automated at all.