[chef] Re: Re: RE: Re: Re: RE: RE: Re: RE: Re: Proper Berksfile, Berksfile.lock usage?

  • From: Torben Knerr < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: RE: Re: Re: RE: RE: Re: RE: Re: Proper Berksfile, Berksfile.lock usage?
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 08:59:43 +0200

​​
Hey Chris,

Didn't mean to prescribe anything, everyone has to find their own optimal workflow,
depending on the contex

​t​
​. ​
Sorry if that was misunderstanding.

@Daniel thanks for the policyfile blog post teaser, have been waiting for a good
tutorial style summary already :-)

​Wondering:
does it work
​with plain chef solo / zero too (e.g.
 `chef-client -z --policyfile ...`),
​or is it tighly coupled with chef provisioning for now​
?

​Cheers, Torben​

Am 22.05.2015 03:46 schrieb "Daniel DeLeo" < " target="_blank"> >:

On Thursday, May 21, 2015 at 5:51 PM, Fouts, Chris wrote:

> I will be looking into berks flow and policy files as folks have suggested.
>
> Chris
Hi Chris, just want to give you a quick update on where Policyfiles are completeness-wise. Firstly, there is a small data migration required to create default permissions for Policyfile things on the server, which will be included in Chef Server 12.1 (expect a release candidate next week). If you want to build a new Chef Server, you can install 12.0.8 and follow the instructions here to enable: https://www.chef.io/blog/2015/03/27/chef-server-12-0-7-released/ FWIW, we’ve run the migration in Hosted Chef and enabled Policyfile APIs there and haven’t seen any problems thus far.

In terms of client-side functionality, I’m working blog post which uses most of the existing functionality. I’ll be posting it to the Chef blog after 12.1 is released, but you can see the draft here: https://gist.github.com/danielsdeleo/9112b6c7932452bdb7e8

Feel free to start a thread here or email me directly if you have problems or questions.

--
Daniel DeLeo