[chef] Re: RE: Re: /etc/hosts from template, instead of hostsfile and fqdn cookbooks

  • From: Chris Fordham < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: RE: Re: /etc/hosts from template, instead of hostsfile and fqdn cookbooks
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 09:51:01 +1000

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 8:32 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia < " target="_blank"> > wrote:

The hostsfile cookbook works very well for exactly what it is designed to do: provide powerful LWRP’s for editing individual /etc/hosts entries. However, to use it, one has to wrap it with or into another cookbook that manages all possible relevant hosts, including loopback addresses. And when one *changes* a host to another IP address, your recipe has to know enough to delete the old address and set the new address. You also have to build a complete structure to both add your entries, and to delete whatever old entries may be in place, to build a complete /etc/hosts. This can be awkward to manage. I suggest that it would be much cleaner and faster to configure for most environments to work from a template with a few entries for loopback addresses, some options for enabling the fqdn as a loopback and/or as the chef detected IP address, and a simple hash of IP addresses and text fields to populate a complete /etc/hosts.

This would not replace hostsfile: using hostsfile would either mandate separately publishing the same entries hostsfile would generate in various recipes, , but it could be quite useful especially for initial system configuration. It’s particularly more stable than the current ‘fqdn’ cookbook, which tries to set up the loopback addresses but has a number of longstanding issues I reported from a previous role.

Nico Kadel-Garcia

Lead DevOps Engineer

" target="_blank">

Hi Nico,

You may be interested in my system cookbook (https://github.com/xhost-cookbooks/system) which implements this in I think a nice way.
In particular the last release I did last night, 0.6.4 is much better.

If there is a use case that's not covered properly please let me know via raising a github issue on the repo and I'll do my best to address it in an elegant way.

Cheers,

Chris aka flaccid