[chef] Re: github release names and tags vs. cookbook version

  • From: Mike Thibodeau < >
  • To: < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: github release names and tags vs. cookbook version
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2015 19:22:25 -0400

<Moving question to general Chef mailing list per suggestion from Nathen,>

I’ve noticed that people are using the github example text and keeping redundant “v” prefix in the release tag.
the metadata requires semver, “1.2.3”
if the release name tag matches the version exactly we can do magical simple things by joining the [source_url] and [version]
when there is extra text, like the “v”, we need special logic to try and figure out what that text is and how to handle it.
the version is no longer “1.2.3” it is “v1.2.3”

any thoughts on dropping the redundant “v” prefix?
is there already an internal matching that handles the “v” ?
how do *YOU* automate forking/branching/releasing and handle the release name?