[chef] Re: Re: github release names and tags vs. cookbook version

  • From: Charles Johnson < >
  • To: Noah Kantrowitz < >,
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: github release names and tags vs. cookbook version
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2015 17:21:16 -0700

Noah,

Nobody's suggesting we all change. Mike only asked why the v is in the tag string, and what the general thoughts were on moving away from it. There's room in his question for those thoughts to be "nope." Personally I think it's unlikely we'll move away from having the v in the tag, but there's no harm in raising the discussion. It's healthy to question the way things have always been done when those things seem arbitrary.

As to the why versions in git tags are important: Stove automatically tags versions when publishing to Supermarket. Berkshelf supports tags in cookbook git sources, as does Policyfile. There's lots of valid reasons to write the semver to a git tag.

Thanks,
    --Charles

Charles Johnson — Product Engineer

(510) 545-9485 –  /"> " style="color: rgb(105, 117, 130);">  – my: Linkedin  Twitter

CHEF

CHEF.IO

TM

chef.io   Blog   Facebook   Twitter   Youtube