[chef] Service resource on windows returning error: An instance of the service is already running.

  • From: Dan-Joe Lopez < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Service resource on windows returning error: An instance of the service is already running.
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 22:06:47 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Hello Chefs,

I feel as though I am mistaking something here.  The basic idea of chef resources, as explained to me, is that they describe the desired state of a system.  To that end, when I call:
service “My_Service” do
action 😖tart
end

My expectation is that it will:
Start the service if My_Service is stopped
Bail out with an error if My_Service doesn’t exist, or is in an “un-startable” state
Do *nothing* if My_Service is already started, as the service is already in the desired state

Unfortunately on the latter, it is throwing an error, that an instance of the service is already running.

Is this a limitation/bug in the way that chef for windows processes services, or a bug in my expectations of the functionality?

Many thanks in advance!
Dan-Joe Lopez

Sent from Windows Mail