[chef] Berkshelf sources from chef server

  • From: Douglas Garstang < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Berkshelf sources from chef server
  • Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 13:35:46 -0700

In our Berksfile's, we've been specifying the location of dependent cookbooks as paths to local files. It would seem that a better approach would be to retrieve them from our own chef server. I can't get this to work however.

My Berksfile now has the following:

source "https://api.berkshelf.com"
source "https://chef-004.dev.slicetest.com"
metadata

After setting the path to the certificate for our chef server with:
export SSL_CERT_FILE=/Users/doug/.chefvm/configurations/dev/trusted_certs/chef-004_dev_slicetest_com.crt

When I run 'berks install', this is what I get:

Fetching cookbook index from https://api.berkshelf.com...
Fetching cookbook index from https://chef-004.dev.slicetest.com...
Error retrieving universe from source: https://chef-004.dev.slicetest.com
  * [Berkshelf::APIClient::ServiceNotFound] service not found at: https://chef-004.dev.slicetest.com
/opt/chefdk/embedded/lib/ruby/2.1.0/net/http.rb:920:in `connect': SSL_connect returned=1 errno=0 state=SSLv3 read server certificate B: certificate verify failed (Faraday::SSLError)

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Doug