[[chef-dev]] Re: [[chef-dev]] Bootstrap templates

  • From: James < >
  • To: Bryan McLellan < >
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [[chef-dev]] Re: [[chef-dev]] Bootstrap templates
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 16:19:58 -0700

I really like this idea. It would also encourage people to vet their bootstrap recipes, and understand what is actually occurring.

James

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 1:40 PM, Bryan McLellan < "> > wrote:
We're happy with the success of moving the knife cloud providers into
separate projects, particularly with the increased release cycle for
the more active ones. We have found ourselves on a similar decision
path for bootstrap templates. There is a desire to add more operating
system bootstrap templates [1] to the project, and with that brings
the possibility of managing many templates that are difficult for us
to test regularly. How should we manage the matrix of multiple
operating systems, releases and installation methods?

Our one idea so far is to fork most or all of the bootstrap templates
into a knife-bootstrap project. There's a little reluctance of the
overhead of another project, but it seems like it would be a net win.
Thoughts?

--
Bryan McLellan | opscode | senior systems administrator
(c) 206.607.7108 | (t) @btmspox | (b) http://blog.loftninjas.org

[1] http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/CHEF-2403