[[chef-dev]] Re: [[chef-dev]] Re: [[chef-dev]] Bootstrap templates

  • From: James < >
  • To: Bryan McLellan < >
  • Cc: Bryan McLellan < >,
  • Subject: [[chef-dev]] Re: [[chef-dev]] Re: [[chef-dev]] Bootstrap templates
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 15:55:43 -0700

This is so great, thanks a lot!

I was beginning to worry that every time we pushed out new RPMs we'd have to wait for the following Chef release to get the bootstrap updated, which would keep it a version behind.

James

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 12:05 PM, Bryan McLellan < "> > wrote:
On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 1:40 PM, Bryan McLellan < "> > wrote:
> Our one idea so far is to fork most or all of the bootstrap templates
> into a knife-bootstrap project. There's a little reluctance of the
> overhead of another project, but it seems like it would be a net win.

CHEF-2193 [1] added support for this, so I've created CHEF-2524 [2]
for the work of configuring the bootstrap project.

We will keep the existing templates in core Chef for now, but all new
templates will be in the new project.

On the next minor release (0.11) we will look at moving the existing
templates to the new projects like we need with the knife cloud
plugins for 0.10.

Note that there is functionality for reading templates from other
directories thanks to some work by Ian Meyer in CHEF-1393 [3], so we
still need to decide where we draw the line where we won't include new
bootstrap templates or variations into this project and instead expect
users to facilitate each other, probably through an upcoming feature
on the community site.

[1] http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/CHEF-2193
[2] http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/CHEF-2524
[3] http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/CHEF-1393