[chef-dev] Re: CHEF-2988 allowed_recipes, restricted_recipes, and override_recipes

  • From: Ringo De Smet < >
  • To: Bryan McLellan < >
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: CHEF-2988 allowed_recipes, restricted_recipes, and override_recipes
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 15:50:42 +0100

On 21 March 2012 20:06, Bryan McLellan < "> > wrote:
Let's talk about this patch and what the design gives us versus what
it locks us into.

-----------
http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/CHEF-2988 - Run List Modifiers

Provides three new options to modify run lists:

--allowed-recipes: Restricts what recipes are allowed in the run list
to only those provided. This restriction is not applied to recipe
dependencies.
--restricted-recipes: Restricts provided recipes from running. If a
restricted recipe is a dependency of another recipe, neither are
allowed to run.
--override-runlist: Replaces the current run list with provided run
list. This override is only applied for the current run.

Nowhere in the ticket I can read what problem is that Chris Roberts tries to solve with these options. Personally, I would like to see Chris step in first and describe the original problem he had. Only then can we check if the proposed solution is the best fit for the problem and within the current Chef architecture.

Ringo