[chef-dev] Re: Re: clients able to delete themselves / auto-scaling

  • From: Chris Chalfant < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: Re: clients able to delete themselves / auto-scaling
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 14:00:46 -0400

You can also write a knife plugin that compares the list of nodes known to the chef server and compare that list to the output of ec2-describe-instances. Anything that's in chef but not in ec2-desc can be queued for node/client deletion. You can run this as a cron job on your chef server or some other management node if you are using hosted chef.

Be sure that this process is robust and runs on a tight enough loop. If you are using fqdn's for node names you can get bitten when ec2 reuses them. We've started using the ec2 instance id as node name to help here but if you don't delete old instances in a timely manner, they can show up in a search.

chris

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 1:35 PM, Tollef Fog Heen < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
]] Michael Ivey

> Does anyone have alternate suggestions that we might have missed?

Just have a cron job that looks for nodes that haven't check in in
$interval and remove those?

--
Tollef Fog Heen