[chef-dev] Re: Re: Re: CHEF-3747 - Compile Time Packages

  • From: Sascha Bates < >
  • To: Julian Dunn < >
  • Cc: Sean OMeara < >, Chef Dev < >
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: Re: Re: CHEF-3747 - Compile Time Packages
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 19:03:02 -0600

Sascha Bates | "> | 612 850 0444 | | |
Almost every time I've arranged to run installs/configs at compile time, I usually find that I made a mistake somewhere along the line in my work and can usually unravel a boatload of compile time activities once I've identified the error.  I do believe there are valid reasons for doing it sometimes, but as Chef has matured and my programming skills along with it, these are def exceptions and not rules.

I don't want to belittle anyone's issues that they are solving with compile-time because I know I have been frustrated and used that method to solve problems, but I think that generally some careful coding can address most compile time issues. I think that what we often see is people generously contributing their internally developed cookbooks that were used to solve specific problems but are not always entirely universal in application.  Maybe we can make a community workshop/hackday where we try to take some of the contributed cookbooks and work on making them models of ideal behavior?  There might even be an additional readme section that elaborates on the problem that was solved with a hack and how the contributor solved it long-term more gracefully as a chef programming lesson as well. "Advanced Chef Problem Solving" or something :)

Sascha