[chef-dev] Re: Re: Re: CHEF-3747 - Compile Time Packages

  • From: Adam Jacob < >
  • To: Peter Donald < >
  • Cc: Chef Dev < >
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: Re: Re: CHEF-3747 - Compile Time Packages
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 16:27:21 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

I think this helps with isolation, but I think it might make order much less predictable. This is an escalation of early ordering, not an easing of the primitives that allow you to control final ordering.

Partial run-lists are a good idea, but you would need to include the idea that previous portions of the complete list have converged before. Otherwise, you're going to see the scope of each recipe artificially increasing, and you're going to have lots of difficulty predicting what side-effects are going to produce (for example, user ids from installed packages who order may be different based on the staged-run timing.)

What are the use-cases we are trying to solve with these features? Partial run-list application is clear. What else?

Adam