[chef-dev] Pidora platform ...

  • From: Alan Milligan < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Pidora platform ...
  • Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 16:45:12 +1100

I know there have been a number of discussions about platforms, platform families and 'flavours' over the last couple of months. I'm not sure anything much has been resolved yet though.

To add a little more petrolium product to the discussion, I hacked up BastionLinux on Raspberry Pi the other day:
http://au.last-bastion.net/news/bastionlinxux-pi

The most excellent thing is I only had to build a couple of gems to get our chef-client stack running (10.28.0). But a vanilla Pidora release has following:

platform:          pidora
platform_family:   pidora
platform_version:  3.6.11

It's rather a PITA hacking chef/platforms.rb to get through a run-list (and it seems raspberian is the only Pi-based distro supported out of the box).

Note also, in this rather unfortunate case, the Platform family *should* be fedora, and worse, the platform_version should be '18' (it's a remix of Fedora 18) - instead the Pidora crew elected to go with kernel version.

Is there any plan perhaps to use/have an ohai hint even to readily sort out anomalies like this?

Alan