[chef-dev] Re: Re: Re: Re: Supported versions

  • From: Jordan Wilberding < >
  • To: Noah Kantrowitz < >
  • Cc: Chef Dev < >
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: Re: Re: Re: Supported versions
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 16:11:21 +0200

Response inline

On Sun, Jun 1, 2014 at 11:55 PM, Noah Kantrowitz < " target="_blank"> > wrote:

On Jun 1, 2014, at 2:43 PM, Daniel DeLeo < "> > wrote:

> On Sunday, June 1, 2014 at 1:14 PM, Julian C. Dunn wrote:
>
>> Can I also raise "what is our lifecycle policy for released versions
>> of Chef". i.e. when can we stop releasing and supporting Chef 10?
>>
>> - Julian
> Historically, we’ve maintained N and N - 1.

Should probably have an explicit minimum time in addition to that, like "major versions will be supported for at least two years". That leaves room in case the chef-client team elects to release more often in the future.

This is an interesting point. The standard seems to be N and N-1. While I understand the business case for having 2 years of support, at the same time, we are moving towards CD, so I am curious what others think about this in terms of measuring support in years vs major releases.