[chef-dev] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Supported versions

  • From: Lamont Granquist < >
  • To:
  • Cc: Noah Kantrowitz < >, Chef Dev < >
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Supported versions
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2014 22:24:24 -0700

On 6/4/14, 9:37 PM, Adam Jacob wrote:
Lets try breaking it down like this. I'm speaking here as a community member, not as CTO of Chef Software. This is not a decision - it's a an opener for a public discussion.

Chef (the code): works on Ruby 1.9.3 and up. Will stop supporting 1.9.3 when it is EOL.
Chef Client (the omnibus package): Works on Ruby 1.9.3 now, may move ahead whenever we feel like it. Should be sooner than later, because faster.
Chef DK (the omnibus package): Works on Ruby 2.0, and will move ahead whenever we can certify all the components work well together.

Now, for what happens to bug fixes, security, etc:

N: Fully supported, features, bug fixes, and security
N-1: 1 year of security (even if N moves past the release being N-1) for a stable major number release. Major, blocking bugs only.

So, for example - if Chef 12 comes out in January 2015, Chef 11 would be EOL January 2016. If Chef 13 came out in March, Chef 12 is EOL March 2016. It would be on our backs as a community to make that work if we make major, back-compat breaking changes more than once a year.

Chef Software's support policy may be longer than that (just like RHEL does extended support long after they stop publishing updates) or shorter.

Would love to see exactly that written up as a more official policy since that is what everyone generally seems to agree to.

Note, however, that for Chef 10 we supported it longer than a year, and did major feature back-ports, and tons of bug fixes, which took considerable amounts of time. For every minor release of 11 that we cut there was typically a minor release of 10 with a half dozen backported fixes at least.

What's the definition of "major, blocking bugs only"? Because to a customer still stuck on N-1, every bug they hit is a major blocking bug to them. Also, if we could limit minor releases of N-1 to only quarterly or every-other-N-release, that might help -- basically set an expectation that if you're on N-1 that response times are going to be stepped down (exceptions made for security releases and regression patches, of course).