[chef-dev] Re: Re: Re: Re: releases, github milestones, etc.

  • From: Lamont Granquist < >
  • To: Thom May < >
  • Cc: Bryan McLellan < >, Chef Dev < >, Bryan McLellan < >, Phil Dibowitz < >
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: Re: Re: Re: releases, github milestones, etc.
  • Date: Tue, 05 May 2015 09:01:22 -0700

On 05/05/2015 03:13 AM, Thom May wrote:

12.3 came off master. (well, I cut a 12.3 branch off master and released from there,
but that's just noise, frankly. Getting the versions right and tagging master is equivalent).
There's no reason right now for 12.4 not to come off master in a couple of weeks time.
What we do need to figure out is what Dan mentioned - feature flags to manage
changes that would constitute major versions.
-Thom

Its not quite noise. The 12.3 branch gives you the ability to cut a 12.3.1 without slurping up all the commits that have gone into master since you cut 12.3.0.

Once we're just shipping nightlies of master constantly and releases just bless a nightly with being stable this all changes, but you will eliminate the ability to stabilize releases if you stop using branches entirely right now. And we're still not releasing weekly.

As a side note, release numbering is going to become pretty weird in the future. Patch versions make little sense. And if we're promoing nightlies then how do we bump the minor version? People are very used to talking about 12.1, 12.2, 12.3, etc and if we change that and release look more like build numbers -- 12.56, 12.85, 12.143, etc then they'll feel like you just moved their cheese. We also need to coordinate that with bumping the lib/chef/version.rb and releasing the gem to rubygems.