Re: Chef questions

  • From: Arjuna Christensen <aj@junglist.gen.nz>
  • To: chef@lists.opscode.com
  • Subject: Re: Chef questions
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 05:13:19 +1200

Hi!

On 25/05/2009, at 4:42 AM, Stas Oskin wrote:

Hi.

I'm evaluating Chef and I really like what I see, but I dived between it and Puppet.

I have the following questions, and hope someone can en-light me on them:

1) Is it correct that Chef requires much less configuration then Puppet?

Yes.

2) Is there any quick way to install Chef on CentOS - or only via the gems process?

There are RPM's for Chef available on CentOS, and the chef server can be bootstrapped from chef-solo, too.

3) Is there plans for tool similar to cft (sift) which tracks changes and auto-creates manifests?

Not that I am aware of, but I'm sure it shouldn't be too tricky to get something together. Get a ticket open @ tickets.opscode.com

--
Opscode, Inc.
AJ Christensen, Software Engineer