Re: Chef questions

  • From: David Balatero <dbalatero@gmail.com>
  • To: chef@lists.opscode.com
  • Subject: Re: Chef questions
  • Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 17:56:56 -0700

On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Stas Oskin <stas.oskin@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi.

Thanks for the reply.

1) Is it correct that Chef requires much less configuration then Puppet?

Yes.

How stable Chef is? Can it be used in production environment?

2) Is there any quick way to install Chef on CentOS - or only via the gems process?

There are RPM's for Chef available on CentOS, and the chef server can be bootstrapped from chef-solo, too.

Thanks, will try.

3) Is there plans for tool similar to cft (sift) which tracks changes and auto-creates manifests?

Not that I am aware of, but I'm sure it shouldn't be too tricky to get something together. Get a ticket open @ tickets.opscode.com

How can I post there? Couldn't find any registration link.

Also, is there any good step-by-step tutorial explaining how one writes cookbooks from scratch? I reviewed the Wiki, but couldn't really find any introduction for these without prior experience.

Not really -- check out http://github.com/opscode/cookbooks/tree/master for cookbooks on the most common packages / tasks in a Chef system, and you can learn from there pretty easily.

Thanks.