Re: Chef questions

  • From: Arjuna Christensen <aj@junglist.gen.nz>
  • To: chef@lists.opscode.com
  • Subject: Re: Chef questions
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 02:54:28 +1200

Hello again ;)

On 25/05/2009, at 10:53 AM, Stas Oskin wrote:

Hi.

Thanks for the reply.

1) Is it correct that Chef requires much less configuration then Puppet?

Yes.

How stable Chef is? Can it be used in production environment?

I'm aware of numerous installs of hundreds of systems, and EngineYard use Chef at the core of their Solo and Flex products [1] for a growing number of customers every day. I've personally tested setups up to 100 nodes, and plan to do some large scale testing in the near future (C10k+)

Leveraging a lightweight content server and shifting the compilation to clients allows for rapid dispatching of all server side controller actions. A stomp queue and seperate indexer process take care of one of the most intensive parts of the Chef server, indexing the database into Ferret for full text search.

Speaking JSON all the time (especially when the C-mode driver is installed) also helps speed, stability and interaction with external (web) services.

2) Is there any quick way to install Chef on CentOS - or only via the gems process?

There are RPM's for Chef available on CentOS, and the chef server can be bootstrapped from chef-solo, too.

Thanks, will try.

3) Is there plans for tool similar to cft (sift) which tracks changes and auto-creates manifests?

Not that I am aware of, but I'm sure it shouldn't be too tricky to get something together. Get a ticket open @ tickets.opscode.com

How can I post there? Couldn't find any registration link.

Sorry about that. Signup link is here [2]. Once you've signed up you can submit a CLA or CCLA [3] to gain 'developer' status (resolve tickets) and join the ever growing number of contributors.

Also, is there any good step-by-step tutorial explaining how one writes cookbooks from scratch? I reviewed the Wiki, but couldn't really find any introduction for these without prior experience.

I believe a follow up post to this has given you a link to our Community Cookbooks repository, which is a separate project [4] to create and maintain a starting position for cookbook authors most of which are considered good or best practice.

The cookbook quick start guide [5] on our wiki is also a good place to begin learning cookbook authoring.

Hope this helps. Don't forget you can stop by our IRC channel on irc://irc.freenode.net/chef

--
Opscode, Inc.
AJ Christensen, Software Engineer