[chef] Re: source repositories as resources?

  • From: Arjuna Christensen <aj@opscode.com>
  • To: chef@lists.opscode.com
  • Subject: [chef] Re: source repositories as resources?
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 10:23:07 -0700

On 1/07/2009, at 10:18 AM, <ian.ragsdale@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello all.  One of the things that I'd like chef to be able to do is check out
a certain version of our source to be installed.  This makes more sense to me
than using something like Capistrano to maintain the correct version of the
source.

I'm sure that I could use a script to do this, but it seems like it would make
more sense to have Chef treat a source repository as a resource, which could
have providers for git, subversion, etc.  Then you could easily set a
repository URL, authentication info, and revision numbers or branches, etc.

Is anybody else using chef to manage a source repository?  How are other people
handling this?

Ezra from EngineYard did great work with Chef-Deploy, a Capistrano replacement driven by Chef. It is used throughout EY's Solo and Flex platforms, supports awesome push-based-hooking and other magic.

Hope this helps! :)

--
AJ Christensen, Software Engineer
Opscode, Inc.