[chef] Re: Re: source repositories as resources?

  • From: Ian Ragsdale <ian.ragsdale@gmail.com>
  • To: chef@lists.opscode.com
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: source repositories as resources?
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 18:23:51 -0500

Ok, it sounds like this would be useful to at least a few people, perhaps even to the chef-deploy project, as it might allow them to simplify their code. Since I probably need it myself, I'm probably gonna end up writing it soon. Before I do, I have two questions for the opscode guys.

1) Would you consider this for inclusion in Chef? I'd be happy to donate it and would love to not have to maintain and install it separately.
2) If the answer to #1 is yes, would you prefer this be written using the grit gem, or would you prefer to have it call git on the command line? I can see good arguments for both, so if you guys would want to include it then I'd go with whatever you prefer.

- Ian