[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Feelings on chef

  • From: Marcus Bointon < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Feelings on chef
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 17:46:31 +0200
On 4 May 2010, at 16:22, Haselwanter Edmund wrote:

why not start out with using chef-solo?

That's chef without chef server

I did start out with that, but despite what I've said, getting chef server up and running was about the easiest part; figuring out clients was far harder! Making clients talk to the server is trivial, but I was expecting chef-server to be more like a split version of chef-solo, rather than something completely different (and in some ways less useful).

put all your stuff in a git repo (roles, config-json, cookbooks). use your favorite transport workflow (manually copy it over with ftp or scp, use capistrano) and start
a chef-solo run. you loose the query interface of chef-server but maybe you don't need it.

Externalising json is significant for me here - doesn't anyone want to version their node configs?

Joshua's mention of searching in chef is interesting - it's actually the first I'd heard of it, despite feeling like I've read a zillion pages of docs lately! I did wonder what solr was doing in there... automating DNS and haproxy would be nice.

Marcus
--
Marcus Bointon
UK resellers of CRM solutions