[chef] Re: Deploying server under CentOS

  • From: Paul Choi < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Deploying server under CentOS
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 15:03:32 -0700

It was a bit painful but I built my own set of RPMs for CentOS 4 (we run a mixed environment of CentOS 4 and CentOS 5), for Chef 0.8.16.
I don't have the bandwidth to test 0.9 at this point.

gem2rpm is your friend (assuming you have rpmbuild environment set up):
  gem install gem2rpm

  gem fetch shadow
  gem2rpm shadow-1.1.gem > SPECS/rubygem-shadow.spec
  rpmbuild -ba SPECS/rubygem-shadow.spec

You can build all of Chef's ruby gem dependencies that way.
Then you can fetch ELFF's latest rubygem-chef SRPM from http://download.elff.bravenet.com/5/SRPMS/. You'd need to edit the spec file a bit to make it work, but it can be done.

If and when I have time to test 0.9 and deploy across my org, I'll contribute.

-Paul