[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Deploying server under CentOS

  • From: Ian Alderman < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Deploying server under CentOS
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 14:17:02 -0500

  • Another thing I found very very confusing was, the init.d scripts provided with the gem don't have a reasonable $CONFIG default. For the chef-solr-indexer it's "/etc/chef/solr-indexer.rb" and for the chef-server-webui it's "/etc/chef/webui.rb". The bootstrapping cookbook only creates solr.rb and server.rb config files. I think it'd make more sense if the scripts pointed to solr.rb and server.rb. It's not so hard to debug this one, but it was very unexpected.
I second the comment about the $CONFIG defaults.  I was bootstrapping on RedHat and ran into several problems but this one just seems like a bug in the bootstrap recipe.  I just copied the /etc/chef/solr.rb config file to /etc/chef/solr-indexer.rb - is that a reasonable workaround?

Other problems:
  1. Unspecified dependency on runit (unless configured to use init).
  2. Gem installation can put executables in different place from where the init scripts expect them.
  3. service chef-solr stop doesn't.
If I have time I'll make patches &c.

Thanks,

-Ian