[chef] Serial deployment

  • From: Rob Guttman < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Serial deployment
  • Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 13:38:17 -0400

We're just starting to use chef for managing nagios configs - so far, so good.

What we would like to eventually use it for is to deploy all of our web apps and services.  A specific use case we have is to be able to *serially* deploy to hosts/instances within a cluster behind a load balancer.  For example, we would take one host out of rotation, deploy to it, warm it up and/or smoke test, and when warming completes and/or if smoke tests pass then put it back into rotation and move on to the next host in the cluster.

How best to achieve that?

Thanks.
- Rob