[chef] Re: WEBUi - Force chef-client action

  • From: Tim Diggins < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: WEBUi - Force chef-client action
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 10:07:50 +0000

The platform (AFAIK) doesn't take any action - it is really a datastore, chef-client must be run from the machine.

So you either (or both) setup a cron on each machine (as part of your chef config) to run "chef-client" periodically, and/or you use the wonderful tool "knife" to run chef-client on many machines:

knife ssh "role:some-role-or-other" "chef-client"

that will run "chef-client" on every machine that has the role "some-role-or-other" in their run list.

Many other possibilities:
http://wiki.opscode.com/display/chef/Knife
(note that the platform can provide you with a knife.rb configuration file but knife itself is a command-line tool installed with chef).

all the best

Tim