[chef] Re: Re: WEBUi - Force chef-client action

  • From: Tom Thomas < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: WEBUi - Force chef-client action
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 10:08:44 -0700

As already mentioned, you can use the command line tool Knife to enact an action on the chef-clients immediately.  You can also setup the chef-client to run from cron, or some other scheduler.

A third option would be to daemonize the chef-client. From the Chef Wiki:

"To run the chef-client as a persistent daemon, make your startup script for the chef client execute something like:

$ chef-client -i 3600 -s 600

The -i option provides an Interval - it's how often the Chef client will attempt to wake up and Converge this Node. The -s option is the Splay - a random piece of time added to the interval, which helps avoid the thundering herd problem."

By updating the policy on the server, when the chef client wakes up and converges the node, it would reapply the policies from the Chef Server enacting the change at the interval set for the persistent daemon.

If you use the chef-client cookbook, it automatically sets up the client to run as a daemon.

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 3:30 AM, Jonathan Matthews < "> > wrote:
On 18 March 2011 09:56, WEINHAPL Andreas
> HI,
>
> I saw the Opscode platform that it’s possible to mouse over the tab “run
> list” at the point “Status” and see the complete run list of this node. But
> if I’m installing the server on my own, I didn’t get this feature. I can
> click on it and nothing happened or mouse over.  For what is this button?!

It used to work on non-Platform webUI. I don't recall when it broke.
It did the same as you describe the Platform UI doing.

I'm pretty sure it was only informational. It had nothing to do with
actually running the client.

Jonathan
--
Jonathan Matthews