[chef] Modifying the file specificity search path

  • From: Charles Duffy < >
  • To: chef-users < >
  • Subject: [chef] Modifying the file specificity search path
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 23:01:26 -0500

Howdy, all --

Is there a way I can make the next item in the file specificity search path after "#{node[:platform]}-#{node[:platform_version]}" be "#{node[:platform]}-#{node[:platform_version].split('.')[0]}"?

The current behavior (if I understand it from the documentation correctly) doesn't really make sense for a lot of cases -- as minor version numbers for RHEL-derived distributions update as time goes on when doing regular stability-and-security updates with no action taken by the user, cookbooks currently can break for no reason other than a new upstream install image being available (the file you needed is suddenly being looked for in centos-5.6/foo rather than centos-5.5/foo, though all you *really* needed was to distinguish the centos-5 version from the centos-6 version). Having a major-version-only path entry thus makes sense; can this be accomplished without patching Chef?

Thanks!