[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Need a monitoring automation cookbook

  • From: John Alberts < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Need a monitoring automation cookbook
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 14:13:48 -0600

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 2:07 PM, Jason J. W. Williams < "> > wrote:
Yes.  I'm looking for a very custom solution that will automate deploying monitoring to our custom products as each new server is deployed.

Our approach has been to deploy NRPE to every server and create a /etc/nagios/nrpe.d directory.

Then our individual app cookbooks deploy the config file with the checks they need into /etc/nagios/nrpe.d

Our Nagios server recipe queries the Chef database for nodes containing the app recipes and auto-generates NRPE checks to those nodes.

-J

We currently don't use NRPE and use snmp and direct http checks for 99% of our service checks.  I'm not against using NRPE, so it's definitely an option and something I thought about doing when looking at the Nagios cookbook.

In any case, we have a budget for having a contractor work on this, so I'm looking to contract this particular project.  This people on this list are awesome.  After only 20 minutes from my first post, I have some great responses and already a couple contractors that have contacted me directly.  Thank you to everyone for your input.

--
John Alberts