[chef] Re: Re: Cookbook workflows

  • From: Torben Knerr < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Cookbook workflows
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 17:51:30 +0100

Great idea! I would also be interested in collecting best practices, especially concerning the cookbook development workflows. So far I did not find any valuable information except on this mailing list :-)

We had some discussions about the topic recently on this list:
http://lists.opscode.com/sympa/arc/chef/2012-01/msg00046.html
http://lists.opscode.com/sympa/arc/chef/2012-01/msg00090.html

Don't know if that fits for every situation, but currently I would consider this as a "best practice":
- cookbooks should be versioned independently, thus they need their own git repositories.
- for pulling together a sound baseline of independently versioned cookbooks you can use either git submodules or librarian.
- a concept of explicit SNAPSHOT versions (as in maven) would be useful during development. As there are no explicit SNAPSHOT versions, you can still agree on a convention, e.g. each X.Y.Z version with an odd Z number is considered a "SNAPSHOT"

Cheers,
Torben