[chef] setting of my chef cookbooks, how to link to other cookbooks when using git?

  • From: S Ahmed < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] setting of my chef cookbooks, how to link to other cookbooks when using git?
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 17:53:42 -0400

So I'm setting up a simple chef solo repository, and confused how I can pull-in cookbooks from opscode etc.

Say my structure is like:

/project/chef
/project/chef/conf/solo.rb
/project/chef/cookbooks/

Now my git repository is under /project:

/project/.git

When I download other cookbooks, like if I clone opscode cookbooks from github the folder structure is:

/cookbooks/
/cookbooks/activemq

So if I want a specific cookbook, I have to copy the folder over to my /cookbooks folder, but then I update the cookbook using git.

Other individual cookbooks are see around are named like:  someapp-cookbook

I'm sure I'm thinking of this the wrong way, but how can I pull down cookbooks into my cookbooks directly while being able to update them from their git repo?