[chef] Re: Re: setting of my chef cookbooks, how to link to other cookbooks when using git?

  • From: S Ahmed < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: setting of my chef cookbooks, how to link to other cookbooks when using git?
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 13:28:20 -0400

Peter, thanks braid looks interesting.

Actually, if I want to keep things simple, I can just pass an array to my cookbook_path it seems.

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 6:40 PM, Peter Donald < "> > wrote:
Hi,

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 7:53 AM, S Ahmed < "> > wrote:
> I'm sure I'm thinking of this the wrong way, but how can I pull down
> cookbooks into my cookbooks directly while being able to update them from
> their git repo?

I highly recommend braid [1] - we use it and are very happy with it.

The way we do things is something like

# Import a remote repository into our local one
braid add git://github.com/realityforge-cookbooks/glassfish.git
cookbooks/glassfish

# Update local tree based on changes in remote repo
braid update cookbooks/glassfish

# Produce a diff of local dir to remote repo
braid diff cookbooks/glassfish

[1] https://github.com/evilchelu/braid/wiki/usage-and-examples

--
Cheers,