[chef] Workflows, librarian, cookbooks as individual git repositories, and other headaches

  • From: Bryan Berry < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Workflows, librarian, cookbooks as individual git repositories, and other headaches
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 08:20:21 +0200

I have pretty much settled on using librarian to manage to my cookbooks/ directory, holding all of my 'vendor' cookbooks, i.e. cookbooks I don't actively modify and putting those cookbooks that I do actively edit into site-cookbooks/

Each cookbook in site-cookbooks/ has its own git repository

The pain arises  in the following situations

1. When I want to sync my setup from one workstation to another, i.e. b/w my workstation in the office and my laptop at home
2. End of the day I want to make that all my commits across various cookbooks in site-cookbooks are pushed to origin
3. I want my colleague to quickly be working on the same set of cookbooks that I am

This doesn't seem like super hard stuff, but like so many problems in the Chef world, someone has probably already invented a cleverer solution than I would invent on my own.

I have in mind a Rake task that searches site-cookbooks and pushs the latest commits to master

But how would I make sure that my colleague and I have the same set of site-cookbooks/ ? Perhaps something like Cheffile or an addition to Cheffile that pulls specified cookbooks into site-cookbooks but doesn't take over the entire directory like librarian does with cookbooks/.