[chef] Installing Chef Server Manually

  • From: Craig Cook < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Installing Chef Server Manually
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 17:05:12 -0400
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

I am new to chef…

Some questions/feedback for this page

http://wiki.opscode.com/display/chef/Installing+Chef+Server+Manually#InstallingChefServerManually-ConfiguretheCommandLineClient

Configure the Command Line Client

Should this line

“First, create the ~/.chef directory and copy the required certificates created by the server.”

Be changed to something like this:

In this example we have logged in as the user “bob”.  Where you see “bob” in the following examples replace it with your username.

First, create the ~/.chef directory and copy the required certificates created by the server.

<snip>

sudo chown -R bob ~/.chef

further down to this section

“Create a Knife Client for Your Laptop/Desktop”

Make sure you've configured knife on your chef server as described above before proceeding with this step.

Create a private certificate that you will transfer to your Laptop/Desktop  (Should the private cert be deleted after you have copied if to your laptop?)

chef-server> knife client create bob -n -a -f /tmp/bob.pem

INFO: Created (or updated) client[bob]

i.e. change all references for “my-username” to “bob”

Or, am I not understanding what is going on here…

This section is not clear

your-laptop > knife client list

  chef-webui

  my-username

  bob

  chef-validator

Obviously by this stage your local workstation is communicating to the chef-server.

It shows a client called bob and also my-username, if you worked through everything on this page shouldn’t you just have “bob” as the client?  Is “bob” meant to be “bobs_workstation”?  That would make “my-username” the local username I logged into my local workstation with…

Craig